Well, the Christmas playlist…um…it didn’t happen. I tried, really I did! The more I thought about it, the more it just seemed like a horrible idea. Christmas music for an hour of spin…I couldn’t handle it. Every song I thought of using (besides Wham’s “Last Christmas” and Mariah’s “All I Want for Christmas”) just made my stomach turn.
I know! I know! Total “Grinch that stole the Christmas playlist”.
Before you throw me in to Candy Cane jail– hear me out. I actually scoured the interwebs for other spin playlist and quite a few blogs said, “Don’t do it” or “My Christmas playlist was a bust”. Some of the reasons given for not doing a Christmas themed playlist that made total sense were:
- Not everyone celebrates Christmas
- Christmas music is EVERYWHERE right now. Holiday overload.
- Someone may work in a mall and is forced to listen to that shizz all day long. Why make them listen to it during their “me” time.
Ok, so if I didn’t do a Christmas playlist, what did I do? Well, the holidays are full of parties and fun, so I decided to do a “Party People” playlist. I wanted some tunes to just pump people up, make them forget the stresses of the holiday season, and just have a darn good time! I really liked the 60 minutes of awesome I came up with and I’m pretty sure my class did too because I had a couple people come up and comment about how great class was. With all the compliments, I kind of felt like the Ron Bergundy of spinning.
Ok, so here we go, moment of truth…The Tunes:
As you can see, I didn’t totally Grinch out…we cooled down with not one, but TWO Christmas tunes. Take that. So, here is the gist of how we got it done:
- Add a small turn, continue warmup in saddle for 1 min, up to second next minute, 3rd, for remainder
- Rolling hill in saddle
- Up to 3rd with sprint in saddle. 1st sprint- 30 sec, 2nd sprint- 50 sec, 3rd sprint- 40 sec
- Jumps on a medium hill- 8 count
- Hill continues. Starting at a 7 and ending at a 9 RPE. 2 minutes in the saddle, 1 minute in 3rd.
- Sprints: 10 on/10 off, 20 on/20 off, 30 on/30 off. Repeat 3 times.
- Power surges: start in saddle, add resistance on chorus and come up to 3rd
- 4 ct jumps
- Sprints: 10 on/30 off, 20 on/20 off, 30 on/10 off, 40 on
- Add resistance, start on a medium hill (7 RPE) end on heavy hill (9 RPE). 2 minutes in the saddle, 2 minutes in 3rd
- Flat road
- Start on a fast flat, enough resistance for sprinting. 1st sprint 40 seconds. When music slows down, add resistance and come up to 3rd, sit and sprint, add resistance & come up to 3rd, sit and sprint. Slow down when “a little bit softer now” comes on and then start speeding up when “a little bit louder now” starts until you’re at a full sprint till the end.
Viola! Party people playlist…in the books! I’ll be shortening this playlist/ride for my Monday class at the other gym so that it is a 45-50 minute playlist. Miley’s gotta go, but other than that, it’s going to be hard to decide what else to cut out.
Have you ever taken a spin class where the instructor plays all Christmas music? I’d like to know if anyone can do it and do it right. I guess I just don’t see how it’s possible. Probably because when it comes down to it, I really don’t like Christmas music THAT much. Whenever I hear Paul McCartney’s ” Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time”, I want to scrape my eyeballs out. And with that lovely visual…I’ll bid you farewell for today.